- Albright, A.C. "Choreographing Difference; The Body and Identity in Contemporary Dance" Hanover: Wesleyan University Press (1997)
- Ames. M ‘Performing between intention and unconscious daily gesture. How might disabled dancers offer us a new aesthetic sensibility?’ About performance No 11, 2012, 143, 143
- Benjamin, A. "Making An Entrance; theory and practice for disabled and non-disabled dancers" London: Routledge. (2002)
- De Mille, A. "And Promenade Home" Boston, Toronto: Little, Brown and Company (1956)
- Fox, A. "Inclusive Arts Practice and Research: a critical manifesto" forthcoming Mary 2015 http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9781138840997/
- Johnston, K. "Stage Turns: Canadian Disability Theatre" Montreal & Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press (2012)
- Jowitt D.‘Time and the Dancing Image’ Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press (1988)
- Kapchan, D. A. "Performance" The Journal of American Folklore, Vol. 108, No. 430, Common Ground: Keywords for the Study of Expressive Culture (Autumn, 1995), pp. 479-508
- Kuppers, P. 2011. “Butoh Rhizome: Choreography of a moving writing self”. Choreographic Practices 1 (1): 79-96
- Kuppers, P. "Disability and Contemporary Performance; Bodies on Edge" (2003) London: Routledge.
- Marsh, K. 2014. "Finding Your Way". Animated, the community dance magazine (Winter edition). Published by Foundation for Community Dance. Access at: http://www.communitydance.org.uk/DB/animated-library/finding-your-way.html?ed=32213
- McFee, G. "The Philosophical Aesthetics of Dance: Identity, Performance and Understanding" Alton: Dance Books (2011)
- Reed, S.A. "The Politics and Poetics of Dance" Annual Review of Anthropology, Vol. 27 (1998), pp. 503-532
- Sandahl, C. and Auslander, P. "Bodies in Commotion Disability and Performance" Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press (2005)
- Sandahl, C and Auslander, P (eds). 2005. Bodies in Commotion Disability and Performance. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- Whatley, S. 2007 “Dance and Disability; the dancer, the viewer and the presumption of difference”. Research in Dance Education 8, (1): 5-25.
- Whatley, S. 2014. "Does education include?" Animated, the community dance magazine. Published by Foundation for Community Dance. Access at: http://www.communitydance.org.uk/DB/animated-library/does-education-include.html?ed=32213
- Yeoh, F. ‘The Choreographic Trust: Preserving Dance Legacies,’ Dance Chronicle, 2012, 35.2, 224-249